Ever wonder why Republicans don’t raise the specter of Dwight David Eisenhower the way they are constantly going back and reanimating Ronald Reagan? How about this quote from the 34th President of the United States (and the last good Republican in my opinion):
“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”
This quote is from his April 1953 “Chance for Peace” speech regarding (among other things) the death of Lenin.
- Ended the Korean War (which wasn’t really a war but a policing action – Presidential Proclamation No. 2914, 3 C.F.R. 99 (1953), which remained in force until 14 September 1978);
- Authorized with Canada a joint construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway;
- Did not bomb the hell out of Puerto Rico when five representatives were wounded in House of Representatives by shots fired by Puerto Rican nationalists;
- Extended Social Security coverage to farmers (make something bad out of that, Michelle Bachman!);
- Signed the The Interstate Highway System into being;
- Signed the 1957 Civil Rights Act which seeks to protect voting rights (which btw many of our Repubican Governors are working dilligently to infringe);
- During his administration Explorer I, the first American satellite launched;
- Signed the bill establishing National Aeronautics and Space Administration (and now we can wave byebye to NASA and NASA engineer’s jobs);
- Signed the National Defense Education Act, providing loans for college students and funds to encourage young people to enter teaching careers (raise your hand if you went to school with an NDSL loan? I did);
- Signed the act admitting Hawaii as the 50th state;
- With Queen Elizabeth II he opened the St. Lawrence Seaway (built in an astonishing 5 years! US & Canada workers work quickly — It has been 10 years since the WTC crashed to the ground and they’re still not finished with the new WTC building… maybe they should have hired some Canadians); and
- Last but not least, he warned us about the Military-Industrial Complex.
He had good reason to because….
The above is a list of good things…
here’s the bad news – the Military Industrial Complex news:
- Replaced the government of Premier Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran with regime loyal to Shah Pahlevi;
- Did nothing to stop Joe McCarthy and his commie witch hunt;
- Signed the Communist Control Act outlawing Communist Party (was this the beginning of infringing on free speech??? Maybe);
- Signed Southeast Asia Defense Treaty (SEATO) (NB: don’t believe it when anyone tells you that Viet Nam was Johnson’s fault… the US was obligated by this treaty to be in Viet Nam);
- Sent U.S. forces to defend Formosa against Communist aggression;
- Eisenhower Doctrine bill signed, authorizing use of U.S. forces to assist Middle East nations threatened by Communist aggression (I guess we’re still fightin’ commies in the Middle East, huh?);
- Sent U.S. Marines into Lebanon at the request of President Camille Chamoun; and
- Permitted U-2 flights in to the USSR (Remember Gary Powers????)
Not everyone is perfect – just as Obama is not the Perfect Democrat, Eisenhower was not the Perfect Republican… BUT there was a balance to the guy. It is hard to see “balance” in any of the current contenders for the job. I’d just like to find a Republican like Ike… one that isn’t “all” bad.